Governance plays a vital role in ensuring the best possible educational opportunity for every child in each of the Trust schools. The structure for the Coombe Academy Trust has been developed to support the culture of the Trust and to ensure the effective management of our schools.
The Board of Trustees is accountable to the Secretary of State for all schools within the MAT and responsible for compliance with government and Education and Skills Funding Agency requirements, company law and charity law. Whilst the Board of Trustees will always remain accountable, our governance structure allows for the delegation of decisions to the most appropriate body.
Roles and responsibilities within our governance structure:
The Coombe Academy Trust has five members. The Members of the Trust are responsible for:
- Ensuring the Objects of the Trust are met
- Determining the Trust’s constitution and governance structure
- Appointing Trustees
- Signing off the annual accounts
The Board of Trustees is responsible for the three core functions of governance:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
The Board has two sub-committees: Finance & Resources and Infrastructure
The Board meets twice a term.
The Trust delegates many of its functions to its Local Governing Bodies. Coombe Girls’ School and Coombe Boys’ School has a joint governing body with fourteen members including two elected parent governors and one member of staff from each school. Knollmead Primary School and Green Lane Primary and Nursery School also have their own governing body with elected parent and staff governor representatives.
Governors monitor and discuss a wide range of issues including;
- The strategic priorities and targets for the school
- The progress of the students in the schools
- Provision for students with special educational needs
- The school's budget, including the expenditure of the pupil premium allocation
- The school's staffing structure and key staffing policies
- Pastoral issues
- Specific curriculum issues for which they have a statutory responsibility
- Health and Safety issues
The Local Governing Bodies for Coombe, Knollmead and Green Lane have sub-committees which consider issues related to the Curriculum, Pastoral matters and Resources including finance, personnel & site matters. The Local Governing Bodies meet at least once per term.
Chair of Trustees for the Coombe Academy Trust